Stay active, stay healthy: To keep you going near or far, we now offer a collection of free resources, virtual classes, and online videos to the UC Berkeley community.
Find something that suits your needs and interests below. This page will be regularly updated as new classes, programs and offerings become available.
Wellness Happens Here …. And Wherever You Are!
For continued updates on Rec Sports facilities and operations during COVID-19, please see: recsports.berkeley.edu/covid-19
Cal Aquatics Masters Dryland Workouts
Cal Aquatics Masters (CALM) dryland workouts, hosted on Zoom, are curated and run by our professional swim coaches for athletes seeking to reach their peak in the water. While intended to be supplemental to in-water sessions, our Dryland Workouts are challenging, engaging and fun. Cal Aquatics Masters (CALM) is offering dryland workouts, hosted on Zoom, for its members. These are curated and run by our professional swim coaches for athletes seeking to reach their peak in the water. While intended to be supplemental to in-water sessions, our Dryland Workouts are challenging, engaging and fun. While workouts currently are available only to current CALM members, we are working to make them available to the broader campus community soon.
- Mon, Wed, Fri, 11–11:30 a.m. – Core legs and upper body with Coach Tryn
- Tue, Thu, Sat, 8–8:30 a.m. – Tuesdays & Thursdays: Legs with Coach Gaku; Saturdays: Core with Coach Gaku
- Tue / Thu, 6–6:30 p.m. – Tuesdays & Thursdays: Legs with Coach Gaku
Additional Resources & Workouts
- Dryland workouts and essential stretches for swimmers from United States Masters Swimming (USMS). See additional USMS member resources available during COVID-19.
- Home workout routines from Fédération Internationale de Natation (FINA) – the governing body responsible for international and Olympic rules, competitions and world record oversight.
- At-home swim training from SwimSwam, a swimming news organization covering competitive swimming along with diving, water polo and synchronized swimming.
Virtual Swim Club
Welcome to the Berkeley Rec Sports Virtual Swim Club. Be part of a swimming community, all striving to motivate themselves and support each in their shared love of the water. Join us and swim wherever you are – your local pool, out in the open water, in a lake, your favorite beach. Whether you’ve just learned to swim or are a competitive swimmer pushing to beat your PB, check-in to the Swim Club on the Strava app and share your favorite swimming spot, record your distance, receive training tips, and join fun challenges.
- Exercise is Medicine
addExercise is Medicine is a collaboration between campus departments – part of a global health initiative – to provide programming for exercise, health, wellness and support from services on campus. Please look for more programming from this collaboration between campus departments in the future.
Health Coaching and Healthy Sexuality Coaching
Available to UC Berkeley students – brought to you by University Health Services (UHS) – and now offered via phone or Zoom video conference.
In each 45-minute session, your Health Coach will partner with you to identify simple lifestyle changes to enhance your health, support you in crafting a plan to achieve those changes, and offer ways to get your momentum going.
If you are currently assigned to a Health Coach please email Summer Jackson (email@example.com) or Meckell Milburn (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly to schedule an appointment. To be connected to a provider in order to schedule a new appointment, please email Health Promotion (email@example.com).
Healthy Sexuality Coaching
Healthy Sexuality Coaches will answer your questions and support you in discovering lifestyle and sexual behaviors that will improve your sexual health and sexuality. Partners are welcome!
To schedule a Healthy Sexuality Coaching appointment, please email Robin Mills (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Fitness & Wellness: Live virtual classes
addJoin one of our virtual classes held live online via Zoom, Monday through Sunday.
How to Participate
Find a class or classes you’re interested in from the calendar above – we offer everything from yoga and pilates to total body conditioning and Zumba – and click on the Zoom link to sign-up.
After a few quick clicks, you’ll receive the Zoom link to join the class (you’ll also receive an email confirmation with the link for your reference). Please note, you’ll be placed in a waiting room until the class begins.
Love the class and planning to join again next week? Add it to your calendar from the class sign-up page to be reminded and easily join in future weeks.
- Fitness & Wellness: On-demand classes and videos
addWorkout on your own time with our on-demand online classes and instructional fitness videos. Rec Sports’ experienced personal trainers and group exercise instructor – classes and videos including pilates core, power yoga, total body conditioning and more.
Interval Home Workout | 30 min
Core Crusher | 25 min
- Fitness & Wellness: Online fitness consultations
addDo you have questions that you would like to have answered from a Certified Personal Trainer? Want to know more about the different variables of strength and cardio training, such as reps, sets, and intensity. Interested in learning about different programs that can help you achieve your fitness goals?
Sign up for a FREE 45-minute online session with a personal trainer. The trainer will answer your questions and explain the principles and practices of cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility training, and introduce you to different programs that may fit your goals and needs and answer any questions about exercise and fitness.
How to Sign Up
To schedule your free online fitness consultation: select a trainer from the drop-down below, choose your desired day and time and click search to view the available appointments during that time frame. Once you’ve scheduled your session, your trainer will email you with a “Zoom” meeting invite.
Note: Hours are limited. Sessions limited to one per customer.
Health History Questionnaire
Before your consultation, please read through the Health History Questionnaire.
Please note that when filling out the PAR-Q portion of the Health Questionnaire, if you answer “yes” to one or more questions you will need to receive medical clearance before you begin your own exercise routine.
Since trainers will not have signed and completed copies of the health history questionnaire, and PARQ, they will not be able to prescribe exercise.
- Games, Activities & Sports
- Play NFL Pick’em brought to you by IM Sports! To play, simply register for NFL Pick’em at IMLeagues. Log in each week and pick the winners for each matchup. This weekly competition will last through week 17 of the NFL season. Choose one or all weeks you’d like to play. Each week’s winner will receive an IM Tshirt for picking the most games! Repeat winners will be eligible for our end of season prize, granted to the participant with the most weekly wins. Sign up at IMLeagues! Players can join the game at any point during the football season – Week 1 through Week 17. This is a cost-free IM Sports event for all students, faculty and staff.
- IM Sports Trivia Night – Get in the game! Join us on Twitch every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 7 p.m. for IM Sports Trivia Night. Please set up your Twitch account in advance of your first visit to Trivia Night. Each week’s winner will receive an IM Sports Tshirt!
- Bingo – With Bingo Maker Web Application, you will be able to make your own custom bingo cards and host a bingo game in a few clicks with our virtual bingo caller. You can make cards with numbers, words or phrases in the squares and insert your images around the cards.
- Name that Tune – Have someone host this classic game by playing songs on your platform and picking different people to guess. In a group setting people can create clever buzzers, ring in on the chat option and more. Have fun with your trivia but making it into a game similar to Shazam on Fox.
- Trivia – Use a tool like Kahoot or Quizziz to challenge your friends to a fun round (or two or 50) of trivia. You could get creative with themes that are either serious (such as national news, politics, and institutional history) or wacky (like types of pasta, famous Instagram cats, and memes.)
- Show and Tell Happy Hour – Practice social distancing socially! Arrange a shared hour for all your friends to come together and be social. You can start with one of these ideas:
- Get as many friends from as many different cities or countries together as possible in the same chat and share similarities and differences between the areas and lifestyles.
- Show and Tell: have people bring or show something culture related from their home, give a “Cribs” style tour of a room or their house, or have everyone wear a hat or their favorite pair of shoes to the chat.
- Digital Escape Room – Complete a Hogwarts Digital Escape room by yourself or in a group. Or, you can make your own using Google Forms – view a tutorial here: Make your own Escape Room!
- Live streams and virtual concerts – Many artists and musicians are moving their concerts online. Billboard magazine has an updated list of upcoming events. Consider hosting your own concert.
- Playlists – Tune in with one another by encouraging them to contribute to a collaborative playlist. You could even have a Playlist of a Day, inviting everyone to listen to a set of songs curated by students or staff. Create a playlist with song titles that cleverly allude to digital technology or dealing with change. “Quarantunes” playlists.
- Movie Club – Pick a film or TV show that can be streamed for free from Vudu or Tubi. Give your friends a few days to watch it, then gather them online to discuss their favorite bits and the storyline’s relevance to their lives.
- Improv games – Many improv games can be slightly adapted to work well virtually, including One Word Story, Convergence, and 5 Things.
- Internet Scavenger Hunts – Go digital. Think of your institution’s various web pages and social media accounts as the locations that participants have to search through. Incorporate cryptic clues, graphics with double-meanings, and embedded games or videos to lead your friends on a wild internet chase. To digitize it, simply take screenshots or find clues within web pages, rather than taking photos or collecting physical items.
- Board game tournaments – Gather your friends to join multiplayer board games through Pogo, Tabletopia, or Poki. Score!
- 8 Colors of Fitness – Discover your unique fitness personality by taking the 8 Colors of Fitness quiz. Find your favorite activities based upon your personality.
- Health & Wellness
- Medical nutrition therapy and nutrition education for UC Berkeley students from University Health Services (UHS).
- Psychological first aid online course – this online course is designed to help individuals build resilience and support themselves and lend support to others during and following the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Inclusive Recreation
- Adaptive online exercise classes from Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) and the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD).
- Free exercise resources and live events from Disabled Sports USA.
Chair Yoga Home Workout | 30 minutes
- Personal Training
Individual One-On-One or Duet Virtual Personal Training
Virtual personal training in your home. Individual one-on-one or duet (2 person) sessions are available virtually via Zoom video conference for new and existing clients.
Your personal trainer will help you achieve your fitness goals by offering feedback on form, structuring your workout, and supporting you as you build your exercise routine. Our certified, professional trainers will design a specific workout plan tailored to your needs and goals. Get the coaching, feedback, and support you need all at affordable rates.
How does personal training in your home work? It’s easy! Training sessions will be virtually via Zoom video conference. Once you schedule an appointment your trainer will send you an email with a Zoom link. At the appointment time, use the Zoom link to join your personal training session.
Contact Robbie Earle, Personal Training Coordinator, for any questions you may have at email@example.com.
Robbie Earle can also send you the New Client Questionnaire, which must be filled out prior to your first session. Please review the paperwork, any “Yes” answers on the PARQ will require medical clearance from your healthcare provider. You can also fill-out a hard copy of the questionnaire and fax to Berkeley Rec Sports.
- Recreation & Facility Tours
addRecreational Sports offers a wide range of activities and programs. Experience them for yourself through our social media – @calrecsports on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter – virtually tour the RSF, or experience what a night at the RSF is like, while our operations are temporarily suspended.
RSF Tour in 60 Seconds
- Self-Guided Outdoor Adventures
addGet out and explore the beautiful Bay Area with this curated collection, from the outdoor experts at Cal Adventures, of local outdoor hikes, walks, and activities. Pair these activities with recommended local Black-owned restaurants and cafes to make a day of it. Packages vary in difficulty and distance from campus and there’s something for everyone.
- Small Group Training
addNew! Virtual Small Group Training sessions. Each session will have a maximum of 6 participants to ensure that you receive personalized guidance and support to workout effectively and achieve your goals. All fitness levels are welcome. Sessions are held via Zoom.
- Virtual 5k Run & Walk
addGet moving, have fun, and connect with friends when you join our campus community for virtual 5K events every Saturday. To participate just download the free Strava app and join the Berkeley Rec Sports 5K Club.
Complete your 5K at any time during each designated event day. Your choice: Go outside to run or walk (six feet apart!) or stay inside on a treadmill. If you use a treadmill for your 5K you will need to manually enter your participation information onto the app. Check the app messaging posts for event updates and fun fitness tips.
Download and print your Virtual 5K event bib and information sheet and start moving today.
Event Dates: On-going every Saturday
Want a Training Plan? We’ve Got You Covered
We are here to help you complete your 5K. Whether you’ve completed a 5k or longer distance race, or looking to finish your first 5k – we’ve got a plan that fits your comfort level. Our Novice I, Novice II, Intermediate and Advanced training plans can help you improve fitness, lengthen your distances and improve your time. These workout plans progress you through the beginning stages of a training plan to your peak of finishing a 5k. Included in these plans are suggested weekly strength workouts and online classes that progress with you through your training plan!
Strength Training I
Strength Training II
- Virtual Bike Club
addWelcome to the Berkeley Rec Sports Bike Club. Join our community and share your interest in riding inside and out. Stay in touch with your friends and expand your network within our club wherever you are in the world. The Rec Sports Virtual Bike Club is an online community of cycling friends who provide information, support, and motivation to each other for all forms of cycling. We’re a club for absolutely anyone with an interest in cycling, whether you are an absolute beginner or weekend racer. Check-in to the Strava app to record your activity, receive training tips, and join fun challenges.
- Youth Programs