Our Basic Sea Kayaking Camp teaches the basics of sea kayaking, including: paddling techniques, equipment, safety procedures, and rescue skills.
About This Camp
Learn paddling techniques, equipment care, and safety procedures on the South Sailing Basin in sit-on-top and decked sea kayaks. A more in-depth opportunity to explore types of rescues and accessories available within the world of kayaking.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 11-17 on the first day of camp in order to register. All campers must have basic swimming skills.
Questions about eligibility? Contact Cal Adventures Youth Programs Manager Lauren Gregory.
|Week 03||6/21 – 6/25||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration Info|
|Week 05||7/5 – 7/9||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration Info|
|Week 08||7/26 – 7/30||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration Info|
Location: UC Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
- Monday - Introduction to personal safety gear, boats parts, basic front and back stroke, on the water practice.
- Tuesday - Introduction to the spray skirt, wet exit, T rescue, on the water practice.
- Wednesday - Refinement of strokes (teach J-stroke, sweep, draw, brace), Cowboy self-arrest, on the water practice.
- Thursday - Discuss risk assessment (tides, currents, obstacles), long paddle.
- Friday - Learn to surf the waves, refine strokes, and play games.
- What to BringIt can be COLD at the Marina — even during the summer! Please outfit your camper in warm layers.
- Bring a bathing suit, towel, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet.
- Students should wear non-cotton clothing that can get wet.
- Glasses should always have a strap to hold them on.
- Bring change of dry clothes for after class.
- Cal Adventures provides wetsuits, and paddling jackets, life jackets, and all kayaking equipment.
- Students should bring a water bottle and a light lunch or snack from Monday thru Thursday.