Our Basic Sea Kayaking Camp teaches the basics of sea kayaking, including: paddling techniques, equipment, safety procedures, and rescue skills.
Year-Round Youth Programs and Camps for Summer 2020 Cancelled – Due to COVID-19 considerations, Rec Sports has cancelled all in-person youth programming (all summer camps as well as year-round Archery, Recreational and Competitive Gymnastics, Skate Classes, and Swimming Lessons) for summer 2020. For more information, read our FAQs.
About This Camp
Learn paddling techniques, equipment care, and safety procedures on the South Sailing Basin in sit-on-top and decked sea kayaks. A more in-depth opportunity to explore types of rescues and accessories available within the world of kayaking.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 11-17 (by December 1, 2020) in order to register for this camp.
Location: UC Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
- Monday - Introduction to personal safety gear, boats parts, basic front and back stroke, on the water practice.
- Tuesday - Introduction to the spray skirt, wet exit, T rescue, on the water practice.
- Wednesday - Refinement of strokes (teach J-stroke, sweep, draw, brace), Cowboy self-arrest, on the water practice.
- Thursday - Discuss risk assessment (tides, currents, obstacles), long paddle.
- Friday - Learn to surf the waves, refine strokes, and play games.
- Bring a bathing suit, towel, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet.
- Students should wear non-cotton clothing that can get wet.
- Glasses should always have a strap to hold them on.
- Bring change of dry clothes for after class.
- Cal Adventures provides wetsuits, and paddling jackets, life jackets, and all kayaking equipment.
- Students should bring a water bottle and a light lunch or snack from Monday thru Thursday.