This experiential camp gives campers the opportunity to observe, examine, and analyze a variety of Bay Area ecosystems – both on the water at the Berkeley Marina and on terra firma.
About Discovery Camp
An exciting full-day camp focused on developing outdoor adventure skills. Learn basic survival skills and local wildlife identification, paddle the Bay, and more! Activities may vary from week to week.
A classic favorite just got better – Discovery Camp is now TWO weeks of fun!
In 2022 we will be returning to a traveling camp model, so campers will be able to explore all over the Bay Area during their camp day.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 10-12 on the first day of camp in order to register.
Questions about eligibility? Contact Cal Adventures Youth Programs Manager Lauren Gregory.
UC Berkeley Aquatic Center @ the Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
|Session A (Weeks 1&2)||6/6/2022 – 6/17/2022||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.||$890||Waitlist|
|Session B (Weeks 3&4)||6/21/2022 – 7/1/2022||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.||$799||Waitlist|
|Session C (Weeks 5&6)||7/5/2022 – 7/15/2022||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.||$799||Waitlist|
|Session D (Weeks 7&8)||7/18/2022 – 7/29/2022||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.||$890||Waitlist|
|Session E (Weeks 9&10)||8/1/2022 – 8/12/2022||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.||$890||Waitlist|
- Sample Activities
- Paddle South Sailing Basin & explore shoreline ecosystems
- Outdoor skills: Fire building, water filtration, orienteering (letterboxing/geocaching), Leave No Trace, rule of 3’s, map/chart reading, outdoor cooking, Animal track prints & identification, Animal survival / camouflage
- Tidepooling during low tide weeks
- Shelter building / sandcastles
- And More!
- What to BringEach participant must arrive at camp with:
- Backpack (labeled with name) for ease of carrying gear around town
- Bagged lunch with drinks
- Shoes or sandals that can be worn in the water (such as: Tevas, Keens, or Crocs. No flip-flops please)
- Closed-toed shoes that can be worn for active play
- Comfortable pants or shorts
- Sweater, sweatshirt, or jacket
- One-Liter water bottle
Afternoon Extended Care Options
Extend your child(ren)’s camp day, and rest easy knowing that you have some extra time to get through traffic, finish a few errands, or pick up dinner before you pick up your child(ren).
Schedule: 4:00PM – 6:00PM Daily
|Weekly Afternoon Extended Care||$75||Weeks 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10||Register|
|Weekly Afternoon Extended Care||$60||Weeks 3, 5||Register|