Our Basic Sea Kayaking Camp teaches campers the basics of sea kayaking, including paddling techniques, equipment, safety procedures, and rescue skills.
About Sea Kayaking Camp
Learn paddling techniques, equipment care, and safety procedures on the South Sailing Basin in sit-on-top and decked sea kayaks. A more in-depth opportunity to explore types of rescues and accessories available within the world of kayaking.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 11-17 on the first day of camp in order to register. All campers must have basic swimming skills.
Questions about eligibility? Contact Cal Adventures Youth Programs Manager Lauren Gregory.
UC Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
|Week 06||7/11/22 – 7/15/22||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 12 p.m.||$285||Waitlist|
|Week 08||7/25/22 – 7/29/22||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 12 p.m.||$285||Waitlist|
|Week 10||8/8/22 – 8/12/22||Mon – Fri||9:00 a.m. – 12 p.m.||$285||Waitlist|
- Monday - Introduction to personal safety gear, boats parts, basic front and back stroke, on the water practice.
- Tuesday - Introduction to the spray skirt, wet exit, T rescue, on the water practice.
- Wednesday - Refinement of strokes (teach J-stroke, sweep, draw, brace), Cowboy self-arrest, on the water practice.
- Thursday - Discuss risk assessment (tides, currents, obstacles), long paddle.
- Friday - Learn to surf the waves, refine strokes, and play games.
- What to BringIt can be COLD at the Marina — even during the summer! Please outfit your camper in warm layers.
- Bring a bathing suit, towel, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet.
- Students should wear non-cotton clothing that can get wet.
- Glasses should always have a strap to hold them on.
- Bring change of dry clothes for after class.
- Cal Adventures provides wetsuits, and paddling jackets, life jackets, and all kayaking equipment.
- Students should bring a water bottle and a light lunch or snack from Monday thru Thursday.
Afternoon Extended Care Options
Extend your child(ren)’s camp day, and rest easy knowing that you have some extra time to get through traffic, finish a few errands, or pick up dinner before you pick up your child(ren).
Schedule: 4:00PM – 6:00PM Daily
|Weekly Afternoon Extended Care||$75||Weeks 6, 8, 10||Register|