Our Beginning Windsurfing camp for ages 10-17 provides campers with an introduction to the sport of windsurfing.
About This Camp
Our five day schedule is for campers with no prior experience but it can also accommodate campers with windsurfing experience who need more practice in lighter morning wind conditions. At the completion of the camp, campers will have a working knowledge of Windsurfing.
This course is designed to teach students the basics of windsurfing, including rigging, balance, steering, tacking, and self-rescues. Students must weigh at least 100 pounds and be able to swim. Each day we will meet at the UC Aquatic Center at the South Sailing Basin of the Berkeley Marina.
Campers around 100 lbs and above will have the most success in windsurfing camp, but if they are a bit below the triple digits they will likely be just fine as well.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 10-17 (by December 1 of the year preceding the current camp season) in order to register for this camp. We require that all campers be able to swim and weigh 100 lbs. or more in order to safely use windsurfing equipment and have a positive learning experience. It is up to parents to make sure their camper meets this requirement.
|6/19 – 6/23||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|7/3 – 7/7*||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|7/17 – 7/21||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|7/24 – 7/28||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|7/31 – 8/4||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|8/7 – 8/11||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|8/14 – 8/18||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
*No Camp Tuesday, July 4, 2017
Location: UC Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
- Monday – Introductions to equipment, rigging, getting onto your board, self arrest, on water practice, instructor assistance from motor boats and windsurfers on water.
- Tuesday – Reading the wind, wind clock, tacking, balance, on the water practice.
- Wednesday – Learn jibing, right-of-way rules, on the water practice.
- Thursday – Discuss risk assessment; refine body position, in the water practice.
- Friday – Peer evaluations on the water and a final potluck lunch. (Optional participation. More details in confirmation packet)
Please Note: This schedule is only a sample of potential activities. Schedule is influenced by weather conditions, resource availability and staffing capability.
It can be COLD at the Marina — even during the summer! Please outfit your camper in warm layers.
- A bathing suit, towel, sunglasses, sunscreen, old sneakers or aqua socks, and a change of dry clothes for after class are recommended to be brought by each student.
- Glasses should always have a strap to hold them on.
- BIC Melody 11′ 6″ boards, designed for beginners, will be used for the students.
- Cal Adventures provides wetsuits, PFDs, and all windsurfing equipment.
- Students should bring a water bottle and a light lunch or snack from Monday thru Thursday. Early in the week we will plan a potluck lunch for Friday. Everyone will be assigned an item to bring to share with the group.
A confirmation letter will have a detailed list of the personal equipment that each student will need.