Open House Weekends at the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina
Beginning Saturday, October 17, the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina will open for complimentary kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals on a reservation model to currently enrolled UC Berkeley students. Essential faculty and staff members will have access to the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina as well in the coming weeks. Learn more about how to make a reservation and rules / regulations on the Rec Sports website. Note that all students are expected to sign the Keep Berkeley Healthy Pledge in CalCentral and students, faculty, and staff are required to complete a daily symptom screener (available through Cal Central, the campus coronavirus site, or UC Berkeley Mobile App via iOS or Android) before entering campus locations.
All users need to make a reservation on the Rec Sports online store. Users can reserve up to one week prior to the start time of the rental. Users can cancel their reservation up to two hours before the rental start time.
This program is currently restricted to Fall 2020 registered UC Berkeley students; there is no charge for students. Uses are limited to 2-1/2 total hours, from check in to check out. Students will need to show a copy of their reservation and daily symptom screener before they are allowed access to the UCAC or the equipment. Individuals unable to provide proof of clearance will be denied access.
Watercraft are limited. Students may schedule one session per day.
To reserve a watercraft
See a listing of available days/times on our UC Student Kayak/SUP Rental page. Visit the Rec Sports online store to get started.
Rec Sports staff reserve the right to close the UCAC at any time.
To cancel a reservation
- Log on to your account at shop.rs.berkeley.edu.
- Click on your username (or UID) in the upper right.
- Click profile.
- In your profile, click on Programs>Registrations.
- Find your reservation and click CANCEL.
- Students who do not show up for reservations will face future restrictions.
Rules and Regulations
Due to COVID-19 requirements, paddlers must adhere to specific use rules and policies when using the facilities
- Users may utilize the boats for up to 2-1/2 total hours, from check in to check out – but shorter use is welcome. Facility closes at 5:00pm. All rentals end at 4:30pm regardless of start time.
- Check in is 15 minutes prior to rental start time.
- Paddlers must wear a face covering when ashore or on the dock, but not on the water.
- Physical distancing must be observed at all times. We cannot allow people to congregate or wait, either before or after paddling, in the UCAC.
- All students are expected to sign the Keep Berkeley Healthy Pledge in CalCentral.
- All students, faculty, and staff are required to complete a daily symptom screener (available through Cal Central, the campus coronavirus site, or UC Berkeley Mobile App via iOS or Android) before entering campus.
What to Wear / Bring
- IMPORTANT: Be prepared to show a completed daily symptom screener, Keep Berkeley Healthy Pledge AND rental reservation confirmations (supplied via email after registering here).
- Cal Adventures will provide you with a life jacket (PFD), wetsuit (optional) and spray top (optional).
- If the air temperature added to the water temperature is under 100F, we will require you to wear a wetsuit (provided). Please wear a swimsuit under the wetsuit.
- We require wearing shoes in our boats (sorry!) due to sharp shells in the bay mud, and dock hazards. Shoes must be secured at the heel (NOT flip-flops)
- You may bring your own equipment if you have it. You will get wet, please bring a change of clothes to change into afterwards.
- Changing rooms are extremely limited. We encourage you to arrive as prepared as possible.
- There are no lockers at the UCAC. You may choose to leave your gear on land at the UCAC, however we cannot be responsible for personal items stored at the facility (typically not an issue). Do not leave gear, or anything else, in cars in the parking lot.
- Any items left behind (water bottles, equipment, personal items, etc.) will be discarded at the end of each day.
Other Notes on Use
- Restrooms available via the public bathrooms in the parking lot east of the UCAC.
- Paddlers are required to clean and disinfect their equipment after use, with the assistance of UCAC staff.
- All paddlers must follow the direction of Rec Sports staff at all times.
- Rec Sports staff reserve the right to close the UCAC at any time.
Accessibility and Accommodations
The UCAC is accessible to all. However, at low tide the ramp up from the docks is difficult. For additional accommodations, please contact the Customer Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions to the Marina
The UCAC is at the Berkeley Marina. The address is 124A University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94710. The facility can be accessed via bike, the 51B bus, car or ride sharing apps like Uber/Lyft. We are at the bottom of University Avenue.
We are next to the Cal Sailing Club, which is not affiliated with us. See signs for Cal Adventures.