We are excited to welcome back our UC Berkeley community for limited in-person programs and services!
In-person programs and services available
Please note that we may have limited or changed hours of operations for our facilities during this transition period.
Recreational Sports Facility
What’s available: weight rooms, cardio equipment, and group x classes (first-come, first-served). Men’s, Women’s and Universal Locker Rooms: lockers, changing cabanas, restrooms only. Showers are closed.
Spieker Pool, Golden Bear Recreation Center (GBRC), and Hearst Pool
Available to: UC Berkeley students (no fee); UC Berkeley faculty, staff, retirees, and emeriti with purchase of a Return to Rec Membership.
Hours of operation (subject to change):
Spieker Pool: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday: 12-2 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.; Saturday, Sunday: 12-6 p.m.
GBRC Pool: Monday 7 a.m.-3 p.m., Tuesday 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Wednesday 7 a.m.-6 p.m., Thursday 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Friday 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday 9 a.m-3 p.m., Sunday: 9 a.m-3 p.m.
Hearst Pool: Monday – Friday: 7 a.m.-9 a.m., 12 p.m.-1 p.m. and 4 p.m.-7 p.m. (Start Date is TBD)
What’s available: Lap swim access only.
UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina
Available to: UC Berkeley students (no fee); UC Berkeley faculty, staff, retirees, emeriti, (fee per use, no membership required)
What’s available: Kayak and stand-up paddle board rentals.
Read more about UC Aquatics Center current services.
Golden Bear Tennis Courts (located on the Clark Kerr Campus)
Available to: UC Berkeley students (no fee); UC Berkeley faculty, staff, retirees, emeriti, and other community members (fee per use, no membership required);
Hours of operation: weekday evenings and weekends
What’s available: n/a
All users must have a reservation to access Spieker Pool and Golden Bear Recreation Center (GBRC) Pool. Starting September 7, 2021 reservations will no longer be required for the RSF. Reservations can be made on the Rec Sports online store. Reservations are available up to 72 hours in advance or the same day if space is open. Reservations are 45 minutes for lap swim
Members can make one reservation, per area (i.e., lap swim, watercraft rentals), per day. Rec Sports strongly encourages members to limit their number of reservations to 3 per week to provide space for all students to access our facilities and programs.
Read more about UC Aquatics Center kayak and stand-up paddle board rentals.
To cancel a reservation:
- Log on to your account at shop.rs.berkeley.edu.
- Click on your username (or UID) in the upper right.
- Click profile.
- In your profile, click on BOOKINGS
- Find your reservation and click CANCEL.
- Users who plan to No-Show must cancel in advance to avoid future restrictions.
The City of Berkeley recently implemented a new health order requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccinations for patrons and employees of certain businesses – including gyms, recreation facilities, yoga studios, dance studios, and other fitness establishments. This health order also applies to our Youth Programs and patrons 12 years and older.
Effective Friday, September 10, patrons must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and photo ID to enter and use the campus recreation facilities (including the RSF, Golden Bear Rec Center and Pools, or any recreation facility where you may be indoors with others). Failure to provide this proof and ID may result in being denied services.
How do you show proof of vaccination?
Students, Staff, Faculty
Proof of vaccination can include your campus access badge on your mobile device showing that you are fully compliant with UCOP COVID-19 vaccination requirements (fully vaccinated, or approved exemption and surveillance test within the past week). Remember your Cal 1 Card or other photo ID as well!
Retiree, Emeriti Members
Any one of the following documentation accompanied by photo ID will be accepted documentation:
- A Vaccination Card issued by the CDC or a foreign governmental jurisdiction which includes the name of the person vaccinated, the type of vaccine provided, and the date(s) the dose or doses were administered;
- A photo or copy of a Vaccination Card either as a hardcopy or stored on a phone or electronic device; or
- A personal digital COVID-19 vaccine record issued by the State of California and available by going to https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/ or similar documentation issued by another state, local, or foreign governmental jurisdiction
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
Relying on guidance from The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), California Department of Public Health (CDPH), City of Berkeley Public Health, and UC Berkeley, we continue to adapt to health protocols and best practices, including:
- Online reservations to help maintain capacity limits
- Green campus access badge for UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff
- Symptom screener day of visit for UC Berkeley retirees and emeriti
- Increased cleaning protocols
- Face coverings required
- Personal water bottle use
- Respecting personal space
- Increased hand-washing and cleaning stations
Additional Requirements and Policies
- We ask individuals to respect the physical space of others and be respectful of all equipment, patrons, and staff.
- Complimentary day lockers are available and storage lockers are available for purchase. Learn more about locker offerings. No bags/personal items are allowed into the workout spaces. Rec Sports is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Towels are not available. Bring your own workout towel.
- Personal water bottles are recommended. Water must be in a spill-proof, unbreakable, re-sealable container.
- No in-and-out privileges for lap swim. No re-entry upon exit.
- Users may not enter the facility before their reservations start time and must exit the facility by their reservation end time.
- Reservations that cannot be attended must be canceled no later than 60 minutes prior to the start time. Failure to cancel reservations may result in a membership suspension.
- Any participant displaying symptoms of illness may be asked to leave the facility.
- Reservations may be canceled and the facility closed in unsafe conditions and for scheduled classes. In the event that Rec Sports cancels your reservations for any reason, make-up reservations, membership extensions, or compensation will not be issued.
- Failure to comply with policies and guidelines, facility signage, and staff instruction may result in removal from a facility, a membership suspension, or membership revocation.
- Will Rec Sports reopen the RSF and pools to non-UC Berkeley affiliated community members?
Rec Sports is currently working to fulfill our mission of serving UC Berkeley students and the campus community of staff, faculty, retiree, and emeriti while recovering from over a year of pandemic-related operations. As such, we cannot offer access to the RSF or pools to non-UC Berkeley affiliated community members at this time. Departmental leadership will assess our ability to expand access to these facilities at the end of the fall semester and will provide an update at that time.
- Is the Stadium Fitness Center Open?
In-person access to the Stadium Fitness Center remains unavailable at this time.
- Are Passport Services available?
Passport services are unavailable at this time.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.