Dear Rec Sports students and members,
As current events continue to raise awareness and demand change to racially motivated killings in our country, Rec Sports stands in solidarity with the Black community and supports the statements made by the UC Office of the President and UC Berkeley.
The tragic deaths of George Floyd, countless other African Americans and people of color, as well as the justified anger and fury in ensuing protests, speak to the institutionalized racism that has plagued this country in the same way it has perpetually defined the everyday realities of individuals who face intolerance, discrimination, marginalization and bigotry.
It is incumbent on each of us to commit and contribute to a way forward. Our personal decisions and actions define our individual journeys. Together we can create sustainable change.
I share my personal framework with you.
- Listen…. with intention and a full heart
- Learn…. re-educate to expose and deepen understanding
- Lift……… move from the “inside out” to serve a call to action
As a department, Rec Sports will engage in a robust review of our program policies and our conduct review system to ensure clear and level processes that more fully support our commitment to inclusivity. This work will begin immediately with a deadline no later than Fall 2020.
As a general reminder, the campus has several resources should you feel the need for support.
- Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) offers counseling groups, workshops and resources from its mental health professionals trained to provide support to individuals from a wide array of identities, including traditionally marginalized, historically oppressed or disenfranchised groups.
- Reporting: For information and support on reporting hate crimes or hate-motivated acts visit stophate.berkeley.edu. Student residents can also report incidents in residential halls to their RAs and RD.
I thank you in advance for your attention to this message and offer my heartfelt appreciation as we commit to working on a way forward.
With respect and humility,
Director, Berkeley Rec Sports