Providing recreational sports opportunities to the Cal community is of paramount importance to our mission – and this includes supporting students, faculty, and staff with disabilities.
- Adaptive Equipment: Located throughout the Rec Sports facility are over 25 pieces of adaptive and accessible cardiovascular and strength training equipment.
- Adaptive Fitness Room: A unique fitness space containing Pilates and other specialized equipment designed to support fitness goals across the full spectrum of ability.
- Assisted devices: Assisted devices including transfer boards and assisted grip devices are available for any member to check out at no additional cost.
- Universal Locker Room: Completed in September 2018, the universal locker is available to all members and offers non-slip flooring and six private, accessible stalls for changing, showering, and restrooms. Some of the rooms are large enough to accommodate an assistant.
- Personal Training: No cost Personal Training for students with disabilities is available through a grant from the Wellness Fee Committee.
- Goalball: A Paralympic sport for visually impaired athletes that have been played at Rec Sports since 2013. Team practices are held weekly in preparation for local and regional competitions. Students can also participate in the Goalball DCal.
- CalSTAR Yoga: A yoga class for members with mobility challenges. Students can register to take the class and serve as assistants for the participants. This program has been on campus for over 20 years and is available year-round at no additional charge to members.
- Wheelchair Basketball: A wheelchair basketball program featuring a nationally renowned Paralympian as well as open gym times – a first for the Rec Sports.
- CalSTAR Membership: This is designed for non-student members who may need additional accommodations while participating in existing recreational activities and programs. Each CalSTAR member is entitled to the admission of an assistant to accompany them while using the facility.
- Exercise Classes: A new Krankcycle arm bike is available in the Cycling Studio making participation in the class more accessible.