Skip to main content

  Notice – The latest updates on the evolving COVID-19 policies and resources for the campus community.
The latest on Rec Sports specific COVID-19 updates and free resources, virtual classes, and online programs available to the campus community.x

Three steps to apply for a job or position with Cal Youth Programs.

Step 1: Complete the Online Application

Below is a link to each Cal Youth Camp program’s online application and staff handbook with links on how to apply and the application steps and forms. Select the camp you are interested in and fill out the application for that program. Each program area has their own director and they hire independently of each other. Please be sure to fill out all fields completely.

Working with children of all ages - evening, weekend & day camps. Contact: Spencer Hawkins,
Working with children ages 7-13. Blue Camp runs ten weeks and hires sport and activity instructors. Skate Camp runs ten weeks with Sean O’Loughlin (Director). Social Skills Camp at Blue Camp (ages 9-19) run 4-5 weeks. Contact: Dave Leimsieder,
Working with children ages 4.5-6. Explorer Camp & Science & Sports Camps runs ten weeks and hires sport and activity instructors. Contact: Dave Leimsieder,
Working with children ages 6-16 at camps teaching Judo, Karate, Taekwondo, Taiji, Wushu, and Yongmudo. Contact: Dr. Russell Ahn & Michelle Yang,
Working with children ages 8-16 at camps teaching skateboarding skills, safety, and mechanics Skate Camp runs ten weeks. Contact: Sean O’Loughlin,

Step 2: Provide References (First Time Applicants Only)

Please request your personal or professional reference to fill out this form and submit. Applicant Reference Form must be completed by the applicant’s reference. At least two reference forms must be submitted for all new applicants.

Step 3: Get Work Permit Form

Complete this step AFTER you have been offered a camp staff position (not needed for the interview).

Requirements: This form is only required for applicants that are under the age of 18. If you are 18 or older, you can skip this step. If you are under age 18, and have graduated from high school, you can skip this step.

Check with your school office to see if this Work Permit Form is suitable for your school as we have already completed our camp job section. If not, please obtain your school’s work permit request form, fill out your information and mail it to us (address below). We will fill out our section and mail it back to you. Your school will then give you an actual Work Permit. Mail this back to our office for our records. You cannot work unless your Work Permit is received. Cal Youth Camps: Staff Coordinator Recreational Sports Facility - Customer Service Center 2301 Bancroft Way Berkeley, CA 94720-4420

What Happens Next?

We will review your application and notify you by the email address you provided on your application if we select you for an in-person interview. Phone or Skype interviews are available for those out of the area. Interviews begin in early December and applications will be accepted until positions are filled. We finish our main hiring in May but do hire all summer, even in early August. Applicants who do not meet minimum requirements will be promptly notified. All other applications will be kept on file until interviews are completed.

Those applying for swim instructor, EMT/paramedic, and wilderness positions must submit copies of current certifications (front and back). Camp Staff positions recommend active First Aid, CPR and AED (For Adult/Child) certifications.

While certain positions require specific certifications, all summer staff are strongly encouraged to have current certifications in Standard First Aid, CPR/AED (adult & child). This policy does not apply to Junior Counselors (JCs) and Counselors In Training (CITS), although we encourage you to become certified for your own knowledge and development.

Your certifications must be valid for the entire period of employment. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS. (American Red Cross and American Heart Association CPR with AED and FIRST AID certifications are valid for 2 years.)

Present your current certifications to the Staff Coordinator before the first session of camp to maintain your hourly pay rate, otherwise, pay rate is decreased $1 per hour (or to minimum wage). If you begin work after the first session, please provide certifications no later than your 7th day of work.


Acceptable Agencies for CPR, First Aid and AED

The American Camp Association website details all the certifying bodies/organizations that meet our standards for CPR with AED & Standard First Aid. Although you do not have to obtain your certifications directly from one of the organizations listed below, the training facility you select must be affiliated with one of the aforementioned organizations.

Please note: courses conducted online are not accepted.


Additional Classes

Anna Griffin Classes: CPR/AED for Child and Adult + Standard First Aid Class

To find other agencies that offer classes, we recommend searching the internet or calling the Bay Area American Red Cross for dates and times of classes.

If hired, you will need to be in possession of documents that prove you are authorized to work in the United States. A list of accepted documents can be found on the last page of Homeland Security Form I-9.

Staff Trainings

All positions with Cal Youth Camps have a pre-camp training component and ongoing in-service trainings through the summer. We have both online training modules and in-person modules which are all mandatory to complete. Completing all the required training for your program is a condition of employment. If you are hired, your director will send you a “Staff Hire Guide” which lists the specific trainings for your position and program.

We realize staff arrive back into town at various times as the majority of staff are finishing up finals in school. It is up to you to clear your training attendance and schedule a make-up session with your hiring Director at the time of the interview and/or hiring.

Thank you to our sponsors