Last updated: October 14, 2020
Below please find the latest updates and details regarding Rec Sports programs, facilities and services. This page will be continually updated as new information becomes available. For additional information and the latest campus developments, please visit Berkeley News and Division of Student Affairs.
- When will the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) or Stadium Fitness Center resume in-person operations?In-person access to Rec Sports facilities, including the RSF and Stadium Fitness Center, remains unavailable at this time. We will resume in-person operations when public health conditions allow.
- Are any of the pools (Golden Bear, Hearst, Spieker, Strawberry Canyon) available since they are outdoors?Spieker Pool and Golden Bear Pool is open to UC Berkeley students and essential faculty and staff (beginning Monday, September 21) only .
Lap swimmers and aquacizers (no instructor) must have a pool lane reservation to swim at Spieker Pool and Golden Bear Pool. Reservations are available one-week in advance. No drop-in allowed. Accessible pool options will be available at Spieker Pool. Payment will be required by essential workers at $8.00 per swim/reservation. Payments are not required for students.
- How else can I stay active and healthy?We have created extensive original content and curated a variety of online programming designed to keep us moving forward together from home. Find something that suits your needs and interests – Rec Sports Online will be regularly updated as new classes, programs and offerings become available. Tune in and check out these great offerings, including:
- Cal Intramural (IM) Sports Trivia Night – Join us on Twitch every Wednesday at 7 p.m. for IM Sports Trivia Night. Each week’s winner will receive an IM Sports Under Armour shirt.
- Inclusive Recreation Classes – Adaptive online exercise classes from Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) and the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD).
- Rec Sports Virtual 5K Run & Walk Club – Get moving, have fun, and connect with friends when you join our campus community for upcoming virtual 5K events, every Saturday. Complete your 5K at any time during each designated event day.
- Fitness Consultations – Sign up for a FREE 45-minute online session with a personal trainer.
- Fitness & Wellness Classes – Live sessions, on-demand classes, and fitness tips are available online for your enjoyment.
- What is Rec Sports doing in preparation for resuming in-person operations and helping to prevent the transmission of COVID-19?We continue to research and develop operational models and cleaning processes for when we are able to resume in-person operations. In addition, we will be asking our members to take safety precautions as advised by University Health Services, such as wearing a face covering and physically distancing when using our facilities or participating in our programs.
- If NCAA sports teams are allowed to play and practice, why aren’t club teams?The resumption of UC Berkeley’s Division I sports teams, as a part of Cal Athletics, and their current return-to-sport guidelines are being determined by the NCAA, not Rec Sports. Rec Sports is following the guidance of campus and local public health officials, which have determined that our in-person access to our facilities, programs, and services need to remain unavailable until further notice.
- Are the campus tennis courts open since they are outdoors?Golden Bear Tennis Courts located on the Clark Kerr Campus are now open to UC Berkeley students and essential faculty and staff (approved to be on campus) members only. Courts are available on a first-come, first-served basis –please follow the rules posted at the court entrances. Note that all students are expected to sign the Keep Berkeley Healthy Pledge in CalCentral and students, faculty, and staff are required to complete a daily symptom screener (available through Cal Central, the campus coronavirus site, or UC Berkeley Mobile App via iOS or Android) before entering campus. Hearst and Channing courts remain closed at this time.
- Is the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina open for rentals?Rec Sports’ Cal Adventures is excited to announce that the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina will open for complimentary kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals to UC Berkeley students at the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina. Essential faculty and staff members will have access to the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina as well in the coming weeks.
Students must have a rental reservation to access Open House Weekends at the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina. Reservations are available one-week in advance. No drop-in allowed, however, reservations may be made up until the start of the event.
For details from previous email updates, see below:
- September 4, 2020
- May 29, 2020
- May 1, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- March 16, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- March 10, 2020
- March 5, 2020
For questions, please contact email@example.com.