Last updated: August 4, 2020
Below please find the latest updates and details regarding Rec Sports programs, facilities and services. This page will be continually updated as new information becomes available. For additional information and the latest campus developments, please visit Berkeley News and Division of Student Affairs.
- When will the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) or Stadium Fitness Center resume in-person operations?
addIn-person access to Rec Sports facilities, including the RSF and Stadium Fitness Center, remains unavailable at this time. We will resume in-person operations when public health conditions allow.
- Are any of the pools (Golden Bear, Hearst, Spieker, Strawberry Canyon) accessible since they are outdoors?
addWe understand that pools in the area may be open, but Rec Sports continues to follow the latest guidance from campus and public officials, which requires that our four pools remain closed. In the meantime, we are continuing to offer Cal Aquatics Masters (CALM) dryland workouts via Zoom and at-home swim training from SwimSwam.
- How else can I stay active and healthy?
addWe have created extensive original content and curated a variety of online programming designed to keep us moving forward together from home. Find something that suits your needs and interests – Rec Sports Online will be regularly updated as new classes, programs and offerings become available. Tune in and check out these great offerings, including:
- Cal Intramural (IM) Sports Trivia Night – Join us on Twitch every Wednesday at 7 p.m. for IM Sports Trivia Night. Each week’s winner will receive an IM Sports Under Armour shirt.
- Inclusive Recreation Classes – Adaptive online exercise classes from Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) and the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD).
- Rec Sports Virtual 5K Run & Walk Club – Get moving, have fun, and connect with friends when you join our campus community for upcoming virtual 5K events, every Saturday. Complete your 5K at any time during each designated event day.
- Fitness Consultations – Sign up for a FREE 45-minute online session with a personal trainer.
- Fitness & Wellness Classes – Live sessions, on-demand classes, and fitness tips are available online for your enjoyment.
- What is Rec Sports doing in preparation for resuming in-person operations and helping to prevent the transmission of COVID-19?
addWe continue to research and develop operational models and cleaning processes for when we are able to resume in-person operations. In addition, we will be asking our members to take safety precautions as advised by University Health Services, such as wearing a face covering and physically distancing when using our facilities or participating in our programs.
- If NCAA sports teams are allowed to play and practice, why aren’t club teams?
addThe resumption of UC Berkeley’s Division I sports teams, as a part of Cal Athletics, and their current return-to-sport guidelines are being determined by the NCAA, not Rec Sports. Rec Sports is following the guidance of campus and local public health officials, which have determined that our in-person access to our facilities, programs, and services need to remain unavailable until further notice.
- What kind of programming will you be offering in the fall?
addCal Sports Clubs is planning to operate virtually for the Fall semester, however, decisions on the status of other in-person fall programming and facility access have not yet been made and will be informed by the latest guidance from campus and public officials.
To keep our members moving and staying healthy from home, we will be expanding our online programming for fall. We are excited to bring you even more online and virtual opportunities to stay active. Rec Sports Online will be regularly updated as new classes, programs and offerings become available – you can also stay up-to-date by checking our social media channels.
For details from previous email updates, see below:
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.