Last updated: April 15, 2021
Below please find the latest updates and details regarding Rec Sports programs, facilities and services. This page will be continually updated as new information becomes available. For additional information and the latest campus developments, please visit Berkeley News and Division of Student Affairs.
- Is the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) open for in-person operations?Beginning April 19, 2021 the RSF will be open for limited in-person operations for UC Berkeley students only. Advance booking will be required and capacity will be limited for all Group Exercise classes, weight room, and cardio equipment usage. Students will need to display a Cal 1 Card and compliance with campus requirements including the daily symptom screener and surveillance testing through the Campus Access Badge on the UC Berkeley Mobile App, which is available for download on IOS (Apple Store) and Android (Google Play Store). Learn about how to make reservations and rules / regulations here.
- When will the Stadium Fitness Center resume in-person operations?In-person access to the Stadium Fitness Center remains unavailable at this time.
- Are any of the pools (Golden Bear, Hearst, Spieker, Strawberry Canyon) available since they are outdoors?Spieker Pool and Golden Bear Pool is open to UC Berkeley students and essential faculty and staff only. Lap swimmers and aquacizers (no instructor) must have a pool lane reservation to swim at Spieker Pool and Golden Bear Pool. Reservations are available one-week in advance. No drop-in allowed. Accessible pool options will be available at Spieker Pool. Payment will be required by essential workers at $8.00 per swim/reservation. Payments are not required for students. Learn about how to make reservations and rules / regulations. Swimmers can also access at-home swim training from SwimSwam.
- How else can I stay active and healthy?We have created extensive original content and curated a variety of online programming designed to keep us moving forward together from home. Find something that suits your needs and interests – Rec Sports Online will be regularly updated as new classes, programs and offerings become available. Tune in and check out these great offerings, including:
- Cal Intramural (IM) Sports Trivia Night – Join us on Twitch every Wednesday at 7 p.m. for IM Sports Trivia Night. Each week’s winner will receive an IM Sports Under Armour shirt.
- Inclusive Recreation Classes – Adaptive online exercise classes from Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) and the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD).
- Rec Sports Virtual 5K Run & Walk Club – Get moving, have fun, and connect with friends when you join our campus community for upcoming virtual 5K events, every Saturday. Complete your 5K at any time during each designated event day.
- Fitness Consultations – Sign up for a FREE 45-minute online session with a personal trainer.
- Fitness & Wellness Classes – Live sessions, on-demand classes, and fitness tips are available online for your enjoyment.
- What is Rec Sports doing in preparation for resuming in-person operations and helping to prevent the transmission of COVID-19?We continue to review, develop, and implement operational models and cleaning processes for when we are able to resume in-person operations. In addition, we will be asking our members to take precautions as advised by University Health Services, such as wearing a face covering and physically distancing when using our facilities or participating in our programs.
- If NCAA sports teams are allowed to play and practice, why aren’t club teams?The resumption of UC Berkeley’s Division I sports teams, as a part of Cal Athletics, and their current return-to-sport guidelines are being determined by the NCAA, not Rec Sports. Rec Sports is following the guidance of campus and local public health officials, which have determined that our in-person access to our facilities, programs, and services need to remain unavailable until further notice.
- Are Passport Services available?Passport services are unavailable at this time.
- Are the campus tennis courts open since they are outdoors?Golden Bear Tennis Courts located on the Clark Kerr Campus are now open to UC Berkeley students and essential faculty and staff (approved to be on campus) members only. Courts are available on a first-come, first-served basis –please follow the rules posted at the court entrances. Note that all students are expected to sign the Keep Berkeley Healthy Pledge in CalCentral and students, faculty, and staff are required to complete a daily symptom screener (available through Cal Central, the campus coronavirus site, or UC Berkeley Mobile App via iOS or Android) before entering campus. Hearst and Channing courts remain closed at this time.
- Is the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina open for rentals?UPDATE 2020.10.29: RecSports' Cal Adventures is excited to announce that the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina has expanded its kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals to include UC Berkeley essential workers (and their families) in addition to students (who have had access since Oct 17th). Families (up to 2 people) can share a kayak together. Additionally, complementary rental hours for UC Berkeley students have been expanded to include Friday afternoons.
UPDATE 2020.10.15: Rec Sports’ Cal Adventures is excited to announce that the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina will open for complimentary kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals to UC Berkeley students at the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina. Essential faculty and staff members will have access to the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina as well in the coming weeks. Students must have a rental reservation to access Open House Weekends at the UC Aquatics Center at the Berkeley Marina. Reservations are available one-week in advance. No drop-in allowed, however, reservations may be made up until the start of the event. Visit the UCAC Rentals during Covid-19 page to learn about how to make reservations.
- Where can I find out more about Cal Adventures' Self-Guided Outdoor Adventures?Get out and explore the beautiful Bay Area with this curated collection, from the outdoor experts at Cal Adventures, of local outdoor hikes, walks, and activities. Pair these activities with recommended local Black-owned restaurants and cafes to make a day of it. Packages vary in difficulty and distance from campus and there's something for everyone. More information.
For details from previous email updates, see below:
- September 4, 2020
- May 29, 2020
- May 1, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- March 16, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- March 10, 2020
- March 5, 2020
For questions, please contact email@example.com.