Message sent from Brigitte Lossing, Director of Rec Sports, to participants on September 4, 2020
Dear Rec Sports members, participants, parents, and families,
As UC Berkeley begins the Fall semester with fully online instruction, I wanted to reach out to inform you of the latest developments on Rec Sports facilities, programs, and services.
In-person access to Spieker Pool and Golden Bear Pool have recently been approved for UC Berkeley students, beginning September 8. Essential faculty and staff members will also have access to the pools in the coming weeks. For detailed information on accessing the pools for recreational adult lap swim and aquacize (no instructor), visit our COVID-19 pools page. All other Rec Sports facilities and activities, including the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) and youth programs, remain unavailable for in-person participation at this time.
To keep our members moving and staying healthy from home, we have expanded our online programming for fall. These offerings include:
- Cal Sport Clubs Virtual Advising & Workshops – Throughout the Fall semester, Cal Sport Clubs will be hosting drop-in advising hours to answer questions and inquiries, along with ongoing student development and health and wellness workshops for their 34 club teams.
- Cal Adventures Adventure Packages – Get out and explore the beautiful Bay Area with this curated collection, from the outdoor experts at Cal Adventures, of local outdoor hikes, walks, and activities. Pair these activities with recommended local Black-owned restaurants and cafes to make a day of it. Packages vary in difficulty and distance from campus and there’s something for everyone. Coming soon!
- Rec Sports Virtual 5K Clubs: Run & Walk, Bike, and Swim – Get moving, have fun, and connect with friends when you join our campus community every Saturday during our virtual 5K events. Virtual 5K events can be completed at any time during each designated event day.
- Fitness Consultations – Sign up for a FREE 45-minute online session with a personal trainer.
- Cal Intramural (IM) Sports Trivia Night – Join us on Twitch every Wednesday at 7 p.m. for IM Sports Trivia Night. Each week’s winner will receive an IM Sports Under Armour shirt.
- Inclusive Recreation Classes – Adaptive online exercise classes from Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) and the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD).
- Fitness & Wellness Classes – Live sessions, on-demand classes, and fitness tips are available online for your enjoyment.
Please continue checking our website and social media channels for updates on Rec Sports facilities and the latest online programming. For additional information and the newest campus developments, please visit Berkeley News.
In the meantime, we continue to research and develop operational models and cleaning processes for when we are able to resume in-person operations. In addition, we will be asking our members to take safety precautions as advised by University Health Services, such as wearing a face covering and physically distancing when using our facilities or participating in our programs.
Thank you, again, for your continued support and ongoing dedication to Berkeley Rec Sports during this challenging time.
Director, Rec Sports
For details from previous updates, see below: