Our Basic to Sea Kayaking camp teaches the basics of sea kayaking, including: paddling technique, equipment, safety procedures, and rescue skills.
About This Camp
Campers will also have time to paddle around the South Sailing Basin and play fun games designed to enhance kayaking skills. At the completion of the camp, campers will have a working knowledge of sea kayaking.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 10-17 (by December 1 of the year preceding the current camp season) in order to register for this camp.
|7/17 – 7/21||Mon – Fri||1 – 4 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|7/24 – 7/28||Mon – Fri||1 – 4 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
|8/7 – 8/11||Mon – Fri||1 – 4 p.m.||Registration opens 1/25/17|
Location: UC Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
Session 1: 6/12 – 6/23
- Monday – Introduction to personal safety gear, boats parts, basic front and back stroke, on the water practice.
- Tuesday – Introduction to the spray skirt, wet exit, T rescue, on the water practice.
- Wednesday – Refinement of strokes (teach J-stroke, sweep, draw, brace), Cowboy self-arrest, on the water practice.
- Thursday – Discuss risk assessment (tides, currents, obstacles), long paddle.
- Friday – Learn to surf the waves, refine strokes and play games. Potluck lunch. (Optional participation. More details in confirmation packet).
Please Note: This schedule is only a sample of potential activities. Schedule is influenced by weather conditions, resource availability and staffing capability.
It can be COLD at the Marina — even during the summer! Please outfit your camper in warm layers.
- Bring a bathing suit, towel, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet.
- Students should wear loose fitting clothing that can get wet.
- Glasses should always have a strap to hold them on.
- Bring change of dry clothes for after class.
- Cal Adventures provides wetsuits, and paddling jackets, life jackets, and all kayaking equipment.
- Students should bring a water bottle and a light lunch or snack from Monday thru Thursday. Early in the week we will plan a potluck lunch for Friday. Everyone will be assigned an item to bring to share with the group.
A confirmation letter will have a detailed list of the personal equipment that each student will need.