Our Basic Sea Kayaking Camp teaches the basics of sea kayaking, including: paddling technique, equipment, safety procedures, and rescue skills.
Camps 2019 – Registration for the 2019 camp season will open January 30 at 12 p.m. Join our mailing list to stay connected with updates on registration, new activities and more.
About This Camp
Learn paddling techniques, equipment care, and safety procedures on the South Sailing Basin in sit-on-top and decked sea kayaks. A more in-depth opportunity to explore types of rescues and accessories available within the world of kayaking.
Ages & Eligibility
Campers must be ages 11-17 (by December 1, 2019) in order to register for this camp.
|6/24 – 6/28||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Closed|
|7/8 – 7/12||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Closed|
|8/5 – 8/9||Mon – Fri||9 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Closed|
Location: UC Berkeley Marina – 124 University Ave Berkeley, CA 94720
- Monday – Introduction to personal safety gear, boats parts, basic front and back stroke, on the water practice.
- Tuesday – Introduction to the spray skirt, wet exit, T rescue, on the water practice.
- Wednesday – Refinement of strokes (teach J-stroke, sweep, draw, brace), Cowboy self-arrest, on the water practice.
- Thursday – Discuss risk assessment (tides, currents, obstacles), long paddle.
- Friday – Learn to surf the waves, refine strokes and play games.
Please Note: This schedule is only a sample of potential activities. Schedule is influenced by weather conditions, resource availability and staffing capability.
It can be COLD at the Marina — even during the summer! Please outfit your camper in warm layers.
- Bring a bathing suit, towel, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet.
- Students should wear non-cotton clothing that can get wet.
- Glasses should always have a strap to hold them on.
- Bring change of dry clothes for after class.
- Cal Adventures provides wetsuits, and paddling jackets, life jackets, and all kayaking equipment.
- Students should bring a water bottle and a light lunch or snack from Monday thru Thursday.
A confirmation letter will have a detailed list of the personal equipment that each student will need.