The Men’s Cal Water Polo Club is a competitive team comprised of players of many backgrounds. Both Graduate and Undergraduate students are eligible for tournament play. Most players who have played varsity are still eligible to play CWPA club water polo. “No player that has participated on a varsity water polo team for more than two years may play for that same school’s club team, regardless of class level (Graduate or Undergraduate). Participation is defined as having played in at least one game as a varsity athlete during any portion the academic year. Athletes are not considered varsity participants during a Redshirt year.” Players who are ineligible to play with the CWPA still welcome to contact us to find out about practice times, or coaching opportunities.
Due to the high level of players that come to play water polo at Berkeley, it is necessary for the team to hold tryouts to limit the number of players on the team so as to not exhaust resources such as pool space and equipment. We are looking to take a team somewhere between 20 and 25 players (with preference for previous cal club wpolo players) to comprise the team. Nearly all players on the team travel to the tournaments.
Tryouts will be composed of two parts spread over two days. We encourage people who do not make the team to try out the following year, as graduating students may open up a larger number of spots compared to the year before. This is how many players make the team, including myself.
- Practices will tentatively be held four times a week, at night. Monday and Tuesdays are mandatory at Speiker Pool from 9-11pm. Scrimmage with the East Bay masters on Thursday (~1.5hrs). Tenative Captain’s practice at El Cerrito on Wednesdays (~1.5hr).
- Three tournaments with four games apiece (two Saturday and two Sunday):
- 10/3-10/4 at San Jose State University
- 10/17-10/18 at Cal Maritime
- 10/31-11/1 at St. Mary’s College
- Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) Collegiate Club Division
- Pacific Coast Division, Northern Region
- Contact Doug Greer, Club President at firstname.lastname@example.org