News

RSF Garage to Get CO Sensors; Saves Energy & Money!

0

 

RSF garage vents

 

The RSF garage is about to become a much more energy efficient place.  Energy saving Carbon monoxide (CO) sensors are being installed throughout the garage.  The sensors will control the six exhaust fans in the garage, which currently run 24/7 — by law a parking garage must exhaust CO once levels rise above a specified amount; if a garage does not have a reliable way to monitor the CO levels, and the RSF currently does not, it must exhaust the air 24/7 as a precaution.  According to our energy consultant, after we install the CO sensors the fans may only need to run 1 or 2 hours a day, greatly reducing the amount of electricity used to power the fans.

Saves Energy and Money
Running the fans only when needed is expected to save around 154,000 kwh’s per year.  According to the US Department of Energy, the average U.S. household uses 11,040 kwh’s per year.  So this change would save an amount of electricity equivalent to the electricity used in about 14 homes per year!  The expected total dollar savings each year is $17,000.  Rec Sports pays 60% of the electricity used in the garage, Parking & Transportation picks up the other 40%.  So that’s a $10,200 savings on the Rec Sports side.

Cost of the Project
The total cost of the project, funded by Parking & Transportation, will be $65,000, but the university will get a $40,000 PG&E rebate, bringing the total cost to $25,000.  With a yearly savings of $17,000,  the entire cost of the project will pay for itself in 1.5 years.  A great win for Rec Sports, Parking & Transportation, the University, and the planet!

Leave a Reply