This trip will explore the picturesque Point Reyes National Seashore. You’ll learn leave-no-trace camping skills and how to prepare the perfect outdoor meal while staying at designated campgrounds throughout the park. The peaceful surroundings of Pt. Reyes will lure you back again and again during your years at Cal.
|6/8 – 6/11||Wed – Sat||2PM-5PM||$295||Coming Soon|
- This trip will meet on campus at 2:00pm following the completion of CalSO. More details regarding the meeting location will be sent out via e-mail following registration. Trip will end on the last day at 5:00pm at the Strawberry Canyon Center on Centennial Drive in Berkeley.
- When signing up, if you don’t yet have a CAL NET ID, select “All Others” and create a community account if your CAL NET ID is not yet active.
- Check out our other great new student trips
- We can provide storage for you to leave one small duffel bag on campus during the trip.
- For more information visit the .
Click a plus sign (+) to reveal more information.
- Hiking Boots: make sure they are comfortable, sturdy, and broken-in. Good ankle support is critical.
- Sleeping bag: Synthetic. No cotton bags. Must be rated to 30° or colder. equipment into kayaks, Paddle to a boat-in beach campground to stay the next two evenings.
- Sleeping pad: Ensolite or Thermarest (closed-cell foam)
- Backpack 4,000 – 5,000 cubic inch capacity- internal frame preferred. (should fit all your personal gear with space for group gear and food)
- 2 one liter water bottles (Nalgenes, Sports Drink Bottles, etc.) If you choose to bring a camelback, that’s great but please still bring one water bottle as well.
- Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries, size AA or AAA.
- Small Mug/Cup, Bowl and Spoon (sturdy plastic Tupperware works great)
- Large heavy duty trash bag (compactor bags work best) or rain cover for your pack and gear
Clothing: Upper Body
- Long underwear top (synthetic/polypropylene)
- 2-3 t-shirts (non cotton preferred)
- Mid-weight fleece/wool shirt
- 1 heavy-weight fleece jacket/wool sweater (should be able to be worn over your mid-weight layer)
- 1 waterproof rain jacket (with hood)
Clothing: Lower Body
- 1 pair long underwear bottoms (synthetic/polypropylene)
- 3 pairs underwear
- 1 pair nylon shorts
- 1 pair fleece or wool pants for cold weather (no cotton sweat pants)
- 1 pair lightweight pants- nylon wind pants work great.
- 1 pair rain pants (waterproof layer)
- 2 pairs of wool or synthetic socks for hiking
- Optional: 1 pair Polypropylene thin liner socks (recommended for those who are new to hiking and not sure if they are fine without them — they help prevent blisters)
Personal Camping Gear
- In camp shoe: old sneakers work best — no flip flops please.
- Lightweight gloves (wool, polyester, or polypropylene).
- Sun hat (baseball cap or broad-brimmed hat).
- Warm hat (wool or fleece, not cotton).
- 1 extra medium stuff sack, for storing food.
- Personal hygiene items, toothbrush, toothpaste (travel size).
- 1 bandana or washcloth for personal hygiene use.
- Sunglasses (with retention strap), sunscreen and lip balm – sunscreen and lip balm should be at least SPF 30.
- Eyewear: Glasses (w/ hard protective case), extra contact lenses, contact solution (travel size), contact case.
- Extra supply of prescription medications (i.e. asthma inhalers)
- Insect repellent.
- $40 cash for two meals on the road; One meal for each travel day.
- Optional: 1 extra stuff sack.
- hacky-sack, playing cards, notebook/pen, camera (be aware, digital cameras do not handle water and sand well. If you would like to bring a camera, waterproof disposable cameras are the best for a trip like this)
- Separate small duffel labeled with your name and safely stored on campus until your return.
- Clean change of clothes.
- Any paperwork needed for move-in.
- Other toiletries needed upon return (medicines, shampoo, soap, lotion).
Please Do Not Bring
- Electronics: I-PODS, Cell Phones, CD Players, etc. (phones approved for use in car ride only
- Perfume / Cologne
- Other expensive items you would be upset to lose or have break.