Are your wilderness medicine protocols on the tip of your tongue or in the bottom of your pack? Join the leader in wilderness medicine for a three-day scenario-based course to review evacuation and decision making guidelines. Our dynamic, experienced instructors will refresh you on current techniques, protocols and controversies in the wilderness medicine field. You will have opportunities to ask questions and to participate in challenging practice scenarios and case studies. The Wilderness First Responder Recertification (WFR Recertification) course includes WMI Adult and Child CPR and Airway Management certification.
This course may be used to recertify a WFR certification. You are required to complete both written and practical testing to recertify on this WFR-Recertification course. To achieve a passing score (70%) on the written multiple-choice exam, you must review previous course materials. Please come prepared. Check the following web page for information and resources on how to best prepare for your course: https://rendezvous.nols.edu/content/section/48/964/.
You must possess a current (unexpired) WFR certification of at least 70 hours to recertify through a WFR Recertification course. It is your responsibility to make sure your certification meets this standard. If you are unsure, please contact WMI before enrolling in a course and review the recertification portion of our website: www.nols.edu/wmi/admissions/recertification.shtml. WMI certifications will be afforded a one-year period after expiration within which to recertify. This course will also recertify those who hold a valid WEMT (wilderness portion only) or WAFA certification. If recertifying, you must submit a photocopy of your current certification card(s) on the first day of the course. We cannot issue you a new certification until we verify your previous training.
- If a class is “FULL” please use our .
- Hourly parking is available in front of the Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area for a prepaid fee of $1 per hour. The parking meter accepts coins, small bills (up to $20), and credit cards. Additional paid parking is available at the Botanical Gardens parking lot a 1/2 mile east of Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area on Centennial.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on a waitlist if the class you are interested in is full. Please provide your name and daytime phone and email contact.
Check in is at 7:45 a.m. on the first day of the course. Course days run from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Attendance is required at all scheduled classes. Scenarios and practice sessions will take place both inside and outside. Bring outdoor clothing appropriate for lying on the potentially wet, snowy and/or cold ground playing the role of both rescuer and patient. Frequently stage (moulage) blood and make-up are used to emphasize the reality of a scenario. The classroom environment generally lends itself to a pair of comfy shoes or slippers and a camp chair.
Please come equipped with a light daypack, waterproof top and bottoms, light hiking boots and layers well suited for spending time outside.
NO SMOKING OR ALCOHOL IS ALLOWED ON SITE
The WFR Recertification course is pre-approved for one semester hour credit through Western State Colorado University (WSCU) for an additional cost of $55. Thirty days prior to the WMI course, interested students must initiate registration and payment for credit by requesting an enrollment form for WSCU from WMI.
2. If you are unable to participate due to injury or illness, you must submit a written request for a transfer or a credit along with a doctor’s note. No refunds will be issued! Requests will be reviewed by management and if a transfer or a credit is issued it will be minus the $25.00 registration fee.
3. If we cancel an activity due to insufficient sign-ups, inclement weather, or other unforeseeable circumstances, you can transfer to another available activity of equal value or receive a full refund or a credit including the $25.00 registration fee.
4. All other refund requests must be submitted in writing, and will be reviewed by the management with no guarantee of receiving a Credit, Transfer or Refund.
5. Credits are not redeemable for a refund at a later date. They remain valid for 6 months and are good toward any activity at Cal Adventures. You may transfer the credit to another individual by submitting a written request to our offices.