Whether spending time in the backcountry is your passion or your profession, you should never have to ask, “What do I do now?” In this fast-paced and hands-on course, you will learn how to prepare for the unexpected. The NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute’s (WMI) curriculum includes many advanced topics that other programs leave out such as dislocation reduction and epinephrine administration. In just two days, you will have the knowledge, skills and ability to make sound decisions in emergency situations.
WMI graduates may take a Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course to recertify their WAFA, WFR or WEMT (wilderness portion only). WMI certifications will be afforded a one-year period after expiration within which to recertify. This course cannot be used as a WFR or WEMT re-certification course if you hold a certification from a provider other than WMI. For further information, see the Recertification FAQ portion of our website at www.nols.edu/wmi/admissions/recertification.shtml. If recertifying, you must submit a photocopy of your current certification card(s) on the first day of the course. We cannot issue you a new certification until we verify your previous training.
- If a class is “FULL” please use our .
Click on a plus sign (+) to reveal more information.
- Hourly parking is available in front of the Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area for a prepaid fee of $1 per hour. The parking meter accepts coins, small bills (up to $20), and credit cards. Additional paid parking is available at the Botanical Gardens parking lot a 1/2 mile east of Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area on Centennial.
Please keep in mind that all Parking Fees and Availability are subject to change at the discretion of the UC Parking and Transportation Department. Check the P&T website for details at http://pt.berkeley.edu.
Check in is at 7:45am on the first day of the course. Course days run from 8:00am to 5:00pm. The class format is classroom lectures integrated with practical scenarios. Scenarios and practice sessions will take place both inside and outside. Bring outdoor clothing appropriate for lying on the potentially wet, snowy and/or cold ground playing the role of both rescuer and patient. Frequently stage (moulage) blood and make-up are used to emphasize the reality of a scenario. The classroom environment generally lends itself to a pair of comfy shoes or slippers and a camp chair. Please come equipped with a light daypack, waterproof top and bottoms, light hiking boots and layers well suited for spending time outside.
Pre-Course: The WFA course is pre-approved for one semester hour credit through Western State Colorado University (WSCU) for an additional cost of $55. Thirty days prior to the WMI course, interested students must initiate registration and payment for credit by requesting an enrollment form for WSCU from WMI.
On-Course: The WFA course is pre-approved for one semester hour credit through the University of Utah for an additional cost of $95. If you are interested in receiving college credit, please inquire with your instructors on the first day of class for the necessary information.
NO SMOKING OR ALCOHOL IS ALLOWED ON SITE
2. If you are unable to participate due to injury or illness, you must submit a written request for a transfer or a credit along with a doctor’s note. No refunds will be issued! Requests will be reviewed by management and if a transfer or a credit is issued it will be minus the $25.00 registration fee.
3. If we cancel an activity due to insufficient sign-ups, inclement weather, or other unforeseeable circumstances, you can transfer to another available activity of equal value or receive a full refund or a credit including the $25.00 registration fee.
4. All other refund requests must be submitted in writing, and will be reviewed by the management with no guarantee of receiving a Credit, Transfer or Refund.
5. Credits are not redeemable for a refund at a later date. They remain valid for 6 months and are good toward any activity at Cal Adventures. You may transfer the credit to another individual by submitting a written request to our offices.