An event to motivate swimmers of all levels to swim and exercise regularly. Over the course of 8 weeks, we will swim our way “around the world”. All yardage is self-reported.
All levels are welcome!
There are 3 challenge levels depending on your swim preference:
- Beginner pace
- Intermediate pace
- Advanced pace
Whether you water walk, aqua jog, or swim your way through the challenge, we want you to join us in this fun and engaging 8-week competition and
experience the many benefits of working out regularly!
The Benefits of Participating
- Opportunity to win weekly prizes
- Chance to win a grand prize $50 gift certificate to Sports Basement & 50 min massage
- Membership discount to join the Cal Aquatic Masters team
- Meet new people and enjoy FUN workouts with the Cal Aquatic Masters team!
- Weekly workout incentives to stay motivated in the pool
This chart breaks down the amount of yards you need to complete each week in order to swim “around the world”.
|Week||Location||Miles||Beginner Pace||Intermediate Pace||Advanced Pace|
|1||Escape from Alcatraz||2.4||240 yds||360 yds||720 yds|
|2||Swim the Strait of Gibralter||8||800 yds||1200 yds||2400 yds|
|3||Swim the Maui Channel||9.6||960 yds||1450 yds||2900 yds|
|4||Swim across Lake Tahoe||11.5||1150 yds||1725 yds||3450 yds|
|5||Swim the Cook Strait||16||1600 yds||2400 yds||4800 yds|
|6||Swim the Catalina Channel||21||2100 yds||3150 yds||6300 yds|
|7||Swim the English Channel||22||2200 yds||3300 yds||6600 yds|
|8||Swim around Manhattan||28.5||2850 yds||4275 yds||8550 yds|
- Week 1: 2/11 – 2/17
- Week 2: 2/18 – 2/24
- Week 3: 2/25 – 3/3
- Week 4: 3/4 – 3/10
- Week 5: 3/11 – 3/17
- Week 6: 3/18 – 3/24
- Week 7: 3/25 – 3/31
- Week 8: 4/1 – 4/7
To calculate each level, we used the following miles to yards conversion:
Beginner: 1.5 mi = 150 yrds
Intermediate: 1 mi = 150 yrds
Advanced: .5 mi = 15o yrds
FitWell Swim Challenge FAQs
- Fill out the registration form
- Join the FitWell Swim Challenge Facebook event for swim updates & weekly prize winner announcements
- Download and print your tracking log to record your daily miles (yards)
- Start swimming at any of our 4 pools!
- Track your weekly yardage on the log sheet.
- To be eligible for weekly prizes: By the Monday following each week (i.e. By Monday,2/19 for Week 1), check-in with the lifeguard at any of our 4 pools to enter into the weekly prize giveaway.
- To be eligible for the grand prize: Turn in your complete tracking log to the lifeguard at any of our 4 pools no later than Monday,April 8th. Alternatively, you can drop-off your tracking log at the Aquatics Office on the 2nd floor of the RSF, or email an electronic version to email@example.com
- Participate in the weekly prize giveaway by completing your yards, and checking-in with the lifeguard at any of our 4 pools by Monday of the following week.
- Recruit a friend to join you as you swim “around the world”.
- Join our Cal Aquatic Masters team!
- Enjoy professional coaches
- Structured workouts
- Meet new & fun swim buddies who will help push you through your set!
- Easy pace - For the beginner to intermediate swimmer, aqua jogger, or water walker
- Medium pace - For the intermediate to advance swimmer
- Hard pace - For the advanced or expert swimmer, or the intermediate swimmer seeking a bigger challenge
What if I don’t swim every day? Or if I joined the competition late? Can I still be eligible for the grand prize?
Alternatively, for Aqua joggers or water walkers: 10 minutes = 200 yards.
Want more information?
Danski Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach us at (510) 643-4397.