We are always looking for enthusiastic applicants who want to join our team. Should you have any questions please call (510) 642-7666 or send an email to Kyle Winslow, the Cal Adventures Boating Programs Manager, at email@example.com. We love to talk to prospective staff.
Teach folks how to paddle! We’re looking for paddling instructors to teach introductory sea kayaking classes that cover sea kayak anatomy, rescues, and basic strokes/draws. We’re also seeking paddling guides to co-lead evening sit-on-top kayaking programs (Full Moon and Sunset Paddles). Closed deck sea kayaking experience is required to teach introductory classes and general kayaking experience is desired to lead sit-on-top kayaking programs. We also seek kayak roll instructors to teach Thursday evening clinics at the Strawberry Canyon Pool. Paddling instructor positions offers seasonal PT weekend hours and the paddling guide position offers seasonal PT weekend and weekday work.
Click on a plus sign (+) to reveal more information.
- Instruct UCAC Sea Kayaking and/or SUP courses, private lessons and custom kayaking/SUP events as scheduled by the Boating Programs Manager
- Facilitate the increase of knowledge about kayaking or SUP theory, practical skills, safety, weather, equipment care, experiential education practices, natural environment and group dynamics
- Demonstrate safety assurance and control when on the water and in the classroom
- Equipment inspections and minor repairs
- Enforce equipment organization and care among kayaking/SUP staff, renters and students
- Ensure student and staff paperwork is being filled out in accordance to class policy
- Update Cal Adventures managers on specific site conditions and hazards
- Attend required trainings for kayaking staff (General Staff & Instructor Training Courses)
- Other projects as assigned
- High level of experience in sea kayaking and/or SUP and rescue procedures
- Experience teaching adults and/or youth (ideally instructional kayaking/SUP courses)
- Demonstrated experience serving in a leadership role
- CPR and First Aid – or the ability to attain these certifications by the first day of employment.
- Well organized, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and mature individual
- ACA Certification or equivalent
- Experience and knowledge of local paddling locations such as Angel Island, Brooks Island, Point Reyes
- Experience leading remote trips for adults and/or youth
- Familiarity with the paddling conditions at the Berkeley Marina and in the Bay Area
- Rescue boat training for towing kayaks and helping distressed paddlers
- Wilderness First Responder Certification or EMT
- Natural History training and ability to impart knowledge through pre-designed curriculum while on course
- Experience in sailing, windsurfing or teambuilding
- Pro purchase deals
- Access to the Recreational Sports Facility and pools at UC Berkeley
- Substantial discount on other Cal Adventures courses or trainings
- Free outdoor equipment rental at UCAC