We are always looking for enthusiastic applicants who want to join our team. Should you have any questions please call (510) 642-4000 or send an email to Bronwyn Burman, the Cal Adventures Boating Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love to talk to prospective staff.
The Cal Adventures programs operate from the Berkeley Marina at the UC Aquatic Center. Dock hands are always present when programs and classes are held, therefore this position offers many consistent part time hours during the season. Classes occur on weekends from March-November while rentals and custom programs occur Wednesday-Sunday. The UCAC is typically closed Monday and Tuesday.
Click on a plus sign (+) to reveal more information.
- Perform UCAC opening and closing procedures
- Oversee aquatic rental program to assure renters are qualified to rent equipment and remain safe on the water
- Continually watch the water of the South Sailing Basin for renters who need assistance
- Operate motor boat to perform rescues of windsurfers, kayakers or sailors in distress
- Collect payment for aquatic rentals, students and private lessons and ensure paperwork is being filled out in accordance with Cal Adventures policy
- Enforce equipment organization and care among Cal Adventures staff, renters and students
- Perform equipment inspections and minor repairs around the yard
- Help manage students as they arrive for classes
- Serve as a representative of Cal Adventures to participants
- Assist in updating Cal Adventures managers on specific site conditions and hazards
- Attend required trainings for Cal Adventures staff
- Other projects as assigned
- Competence, experience and skill with the use of small motor boats as rescue craft
- Thorough understanding of risk management
- Experience with a cash register
- Demonstrated experience serving in a leadership role
- Excellent customer service skills
- CPR and First Aid – or the ability to attain these certifications by the first day of employment.
- Well organized, mature, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual
- Past experience in overseeing an aquatic facility
- Familiarity with San Francisco Bay and the South Sailing Basin at the Berkeley Marina
- Motor boat safety certification
- Experience or knowledge of sailing, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, windsurfing or teambuilding
- Pay rate designated at hiring
- Pro purchase deals
- Access to the Recreational Sports Facility at UC Berkeley
- Substantial discount on other Cal Adventures courses or trainings
- Free outdoor equipment rental at UCAC