We are always looking for enthusiastic applicants who want to join our team. Should you have any questions please call (510) 642-7666 or send an email to Bronwyn Burman, the Cal Adventures Boating Programs Manager, at email@example.com. We love to talk to prospective staff.
Dock Hands help people stay safe on the water. They are knowledgeable about and participate in our boating activities, preform rescues in a 15’ Boston whaler, and provide excellent customer service and support to instructional staff. Dock Hands have excellent risk assessment skills as they continually assess weather, equipment and human factors to maintain a safe and fun boating environment. Sailing knowledge and ability strongly preferred. Position offers consistent PT weekend hours during the entire season and PT weekday work during the summer.
Click on a plus sign (+) to reveal more information.
- Perform UCAC opening and closing procedures
- Oversee aquatic rental program to assure renters are qualified to rent equipment and remain safe on the water
- Continually watch the water of the South Sailing Basin for renters who need assistance
- Operate motor boat to perform rescues of windsurfers, kayakers or sailors in distress
- Collect payment for aquatic rentals, students and private lessons and ensure paperwork is being filled out in accordance with Cal Adventures policy
- Enforce equipment organization and care among Cal Adventures staff, renters and students
- Perform equipment inspections and minor repairs around the yard
- Help manage students as they arrive for classes
- Serve as a representative of Cal Adventures to participants
- Assist in updating Cal Adventures managers on specific site conditions and hazards
- Attend required trainings for Cal Adventures staff
- Other projects as assigned
- Competence, experience and skill with the use of small motor boats as rescue craft
- Thorough understanding of risk management
- Experience with a cash register
- Demonstrated experience serving in a leadership role
- Excellent customer service skills
- CPR and First Aid – or the ability to attain these certifications by the first day of employment.
- Well organized, mature, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual
- Past experience in overseeing an aquatic facility
- Familiarity with San Francisco Bay and the South Sailing Basin at the Berkeley Marina
- Motor boat safety certification
- Experience or knowledge of sailing, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, windsurfing or teambuilding
- Pay rate designated at hiring
- Pro purchase deals
- Access to the Recreational Sports Facility at UC Berkeley
- Substantial discount on other Cal Adventures courses or trainings
- Free outdoor equipment rental at UCAC